|Ruler||Grand Elder Guru
|Smaller Locations||Grand Elder's house|
|Orbital Period||130 days|
|Date of Destruction||Age 762 (Dragon Ball Z only)|
Namek has three suns, so it is never night time. Despite this, depictions of the planet show there to be a dark side. It is possible that the planet is tidally locked to the star group, resulting in the lack of a day/night cycle, with the Nameks living on the daylight side of the planet. A Namekian year is much shorter than an earth year, at 130 days long, as shown when the Namekians are reviving Z Fighters who died fighting Nappa. As measured by Bulma on arrival, the Namekian atmosphere does partly consist of oxygen. The Namekians could use this for their respirational process.
Planet Namek once was a beautiful meadow covered by Ajisa. In Age 261, a horrible climate shift wiped out all the Namekians except Guru and a few Powered-Up Namekians who were exiled before. One unnamed Namekian, the child of Katas, a gifted child of the Dragon Clan, was sent off to Earth as a child to ensure his survival. Guru believed himself to be the last Namek alive until he heard that the son of Katas had made it to Earth safely. Fortunately, he was able to re-populate the planet, since Nameks reproduce asexually, giving birth to 109 Namekians. Guru's children began re-building the planet, especially the lush vegetation that had been destroyed in the storms.
Invasion of Frieza
- Main article: Battle on Planet Namek
During the Namek Saga, Planet Namek was terrorized by Frieza and his henchmen, Dodoria and Zarbon. The planet was ultimately destroyed by Frieza as a last-ditch effort to kill Goku in their battle during the Frieza Saga, as he was able to survive without oxygen in space.
All Namekians killed by Frieza and his henchmen, which did not include the deaths caused by Vegeta, were brought back to life and transported to Earth. The Namekians lived on Earth for roughly 260 days before being resettled on New Namek. Namek's destruction was later referenced by Dore of Cooler's Armored Squadron, when wondering why Piccolo was not on his home planet where he belongs before Neiz reminds him of his home planet's fate.
Namek appeared in Goku's universe in Super INFINITY.
During the Namek Saga, Planet Namek was invaded and terrorized by Frieza and his henchmen, Dodoria and Zarbon and the Sailor Guardians came to protect Namek. When Frieza is about to destroy Namek as a last-ditch effort to kill Goku in their battle during the Frieza Saga, Sailor Mercury used Hyperspatial Sphere Generate to teleport Frieza and Goku to another planet similar to Titan, Saturn's moon to save the Namekians and their world.
- Main article: Namek (Universe 6)
- Maima Region: The place where Frieza's spaceship touched down on Planet Namek. Vegeta and Goku were healed here by medical machines aboard the ship. In the Viz translation, this place is called the Shell Region.
- Moori's village: The village governed by Moori, and Dende's home town. With a total population of 11, it is a village with a comparatively small number of people. All of the villagers were wiped out by for resisting Frieza, except Dende, who was saved by Gohan and Krillin.
- Grand Elder's house: A house is built upon a high rock on Planet Namek. It is where the Namekian Elder lives. Frieza's scouter indicated it as being in Point 8829401 of Planet Namek. Krillin visited here in order to obtain a Namekian Dragon Ball, and he later brought Gohan here in order to have Grand Elder Guru draw out his dormant power. Frieza visited here to get information on the method of summoning Porunga. The house was later destroyed when it fell into the river of lava during the planet's destruction. In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, a time rift anomaly forms around it after a Distorted Time Egg is left there by the Evil Namekian Lord Slug. It is also one of several places from Namek that appear inside the Timespace Rift in Dragon Ball Fusions. In Super INFINITY, the house was made into a museum about Guru after his death of old age.
- Tsuno's village: The village governed by Tsuno. Its total population was 20 people. The village was destroyed by Vegeta.
- Old temple: A location only in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku and Super INFINITY.
- Nameless Namekian
- Elder Tsuno
- Grand Elder Guru
- Porunga – Only when summoned using the Dragon Balls, Namekian equivalent to Shenron.
- Lord Slug – Only appears in the movie of the same name.
- Dragon Ball Z II: Gekishin Freeza
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen
- Dragon Ball Z: Gekitō Tenkaichi Budōkai
- Dragon Ball Z Arcade
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen
- Dragon Ball Z: Goku Gekitōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden
- Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku
- Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Sagas
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Super Dragon Ball Z
- Battle Stadium D.O.N
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Jump Ultimate Stars
- Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
- Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
- Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z For Kinect
- Dragon Ball: Tap Battle
- J-Stars Victory Vs
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Dragon Ball: Ultimate Swipe
- Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
Video game appearances
In Dragon Ball Fusions, sections of the planet appear in Area 2F of Timespace Rift.
In Jump Force, Namek is to have merged with the real world Liberty Island as the Statue of Liberty can be seen half-buried within the planet.
In Dokkan Battle, Planet Namek appears as a stage during certain events and the maps for Yunzabit Heights use the same terrain as the Namek stage. Additionally in Assemble! Warriors of Universe 6: "Namekians of Universe 6", Planet Namek of Universe 6 appears as a stage and Saonel notes to Pilina how quiet the planet has become quiet since they assimilated their brethren before they decide to train on Namek while waiting for the Tournament of Power to begin.
In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Namek is the primary setting of the game's Frieza Saga which combines the Namek, Captain Ginyu, and Frieza Sagas. Bulma, Gohan, and Krillin reach the planet in Frieza Saga Episode 1. During Frieza Saga Episode 4, Gohan and Krillin encounter a two tourists while on their way to Guru's House, a alien couple that just happen to be visiting Namek during the Battle on Planet Namek. Unaware of the Frieza Force invasion, the couple assume that Gohan and Krillin are Namekians despite Gohan's protests they are not with Krillin telling him it's no use as they are in their own little world. Krillin tries to tell them to leave as the planet is dangerous but they find it exciting causing him to say it's beyond dangerous while Gohan thinks to himself that he's surprised the Frieza Force hasn't found them which he attributes to their low power levels as Gohan himself didn't notice then until he saw them. The female alien says it will be difficult to find what they are looking for with just the two of them. They explain that the are searching for a Maristone which according to "Gemstones of the Universe, Ranked", it's the 19th rarest in Universe 7. Krillin realizes that they won't leave until they find it. Gohan asks Krillin what they should do and he says they can't leave them. Gohan gets the idea to find it themselves and bring it to them so they will leave before the Frieza Force finds them as they know first had that the Frieza Force will not hesitate to kill tourists. This leads to the Sub Story "Tourtists in Trouble", where Gohan tells the couple they will find the gemstone for them in exchange for them leaving the planet immediately after they give it to them, which they agree to as they have many more planets they hope to see. Krillin asks where to look and the male alien says the radar on their ship showed they were in some mountains nearby. Gohan and Krillin find the Maristone with its Item Info description reading "A mineral found on Planet Namek. Its rarity makes it a highly valued gemstone." They return to the couple only to find they've been found by a Level 19 Frieza Force Super Commando (called Frieza Force Soldier A in dialog box), a Level 16 Frieza Force Guard (called Frieza Force Soldier B in dialog box), and a Level 16 Frieza Force Scout. The Super Commando wonders who they are while the Guard notes he never thought they'd run into tourists out here and that it sucks to be them right now as they've been ordered to kill everyone on the planet including them so they should kiss their butts goodbye. Unfortunately the couple assume the soldiers are just actors in a stage show and do not recognize the seriousness of their situation. The Guard tells them their not a stage show while the Super Commando says who gives a crap and that they should just blast their heads off. Fortunately Gohan and Krillin step in to defend them with the couple assuming they are part of the show as well causing Gohan to think to himself that the couple are a hopeless case due to their obliviousness but that they have to protect them as they are innocent tourists. Gohan and Krillin defeat the soldiers and the male alien still under the impression it was just a show says it was Marvelous and a wonderful show while the female alien says she's glad they came to Namek and got to see such amazing entertainment, despite Gohan's attempts to tell them it wasn't a show but Krillin says he's wasting his breath as if they couldn't figure it out before they aren't going to get in now. The Male Alien then asks if they found the Maristone and Gohan hands it to him. The Male Alien confirms it's a Maristone as it looks just like it does in their encyclopedia. Gohan asks if they will leave like they promised and they agree they will, to Gohan's relief. The Male alien then says they originally planned to stay for two nights but that they will cut it short to just one night. Gohan is confused as they promised to leave immediately, but the male alien says they should stay at least one night as in just one day they found and Maristone and got treated to a riveting show. He asks them to give their regards to the "actors" they knocked away earlier and that they look forward to their next performance referring to the soldiers Gohan and Krillin defeated, leave Gohan at a loss for words and Krillin thinks to himself he gives up calling the couple insane. The female alien even gets the idea they should build a vacation home on Namek, which ironic as they planet would be destroy by Frieza later that same year.
- Akira Toriyama was infamous for never wanting to draw scenes in big cities, as natural, rural settings were easier to draw, and for not wanting to draw scenes set in the night. Creating the planet Namek got rid of both of these problems for him, he was able to set scenes in a rural world where there was no night.
- A large number of Dragon Ball Z episodes are set on Namek (44-107). This drew criticism, giving rise to the popular internet meme, "Are They Still on Namek?"